Welcome!

Thanks for calling by. I hope you enjoy what you see, feel free to leave a comment and call again to catch up on my news.

Monday 1 August 2011

A weekend learning how to make needlelace

I've just got back from the regional Embroiderer's Guild Summer School and I have to say I've had a wonderful time! We stayed in Bishop Burton College just outside Beverley in student accommodation - but at least the rooms were ensuite even though the beds left a lot to be desired. There is a walled garden, which they opened for us on the Saturday afternoon and it is absolutely beautiful.



There are some pretty interesting carvings in there too ...







There were three workshops available - goldwork, sketch books or needle lace, which is what I chose to do. I've never done this kind of stitching before and I'm now completely hooked! We were taught by Pat Gibson and her work is beautiful. My own efforts are somewhat less so but I'm still very pleased with what I produced in two days of stitching as my first attempt.

There are four different stitches in there, including some 'bud holes' and some beads, which don't really show up too well on the photograph. The edge stitching is called a cordonnette and I put some little twisted loops down two of the ribs. Now I can't wait to do more!

2 comments:

  1. That is so delicate and intricate. I'm sure you'll be creating delectable creations with your new found talent.
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice for a first try. I have done needle lace for a long time. The first step is the hardest. After you have that under your belt, the possibilities are limitless! Good work!

    ReplyDelete